Incompetent Internet Reviewers - Responses

I believe that to affect the system, one needs a stiffer spring to raise the resonant frequency.
So it needs a thicker/stiffer basket, or a some other mechanism to either lower the excursion, which generally also raises the resonant frequency.
(But it possibly could lower the amplitude at the front, which what we generally want to have happen.)

I believe that it is not totally out of the question that shipping vibrations would be way more than years sitting in a room.
There is also humidity and temperature, and wood sweeling and shrinking that could affect how the driver is couple to the front of the box.

So it could be random with “god knows what” (GKW) the shippers are doing”, and GKW is happening with the wood in the between assembly and where it ends up. Even in some harsh climates, it is common to run humidifiers in the winter to prevent the wood in older homes cracking.

So a bit of shipping and a bit of wood movement could add together if one was unlucky… But that is totally a guess at what might be possible.
There is probably more possibilities, but I can only think to an elementary level.
I think its important to note that I was not contacted directly about any of these alleged distortion issues, I was just sent through a 3rd party snippets of (highly improbable) information as it was apparently being discussed in Korean forums.

The owner eventually contacted me and we agreed he would fix the binding post air leak himself and I compensated him for that. At no point was I asked if the speakers should be returned under warranty for examination or repair. As far as I was, and still am aware, the owner is happy with the solution/outcome.

We then, some time later, get this Nuyes guy making all sorts of claims on Audio Science Review, including lies about the cabling.

So whilst its not beyond the realms of possibility something got damaged/changed in transit, we know this guy hasnt told the truth, hasnt been in contact with me to discuss it, and has subsequently proven that he doesnt have the necessary technical knowledge to be playing around in this discipline.

So as far as Im concerned he is also not telling the truth when he says he dint mess around with or disassemble the speaker.

We have had speakers shipped all over the world. One pair has been to Denmark, to Germany, back to Denmark, back to Melbourne (where it was considered one of the best sounds at the HiFi show), back to here in Albany and its currently being reviewed in Sydney at Australian HiFi. We have already had great feedback on that BTW. No problems showing up.

A stiffer spring will indeed raise the resonant frequency, however that could just put it in a different place.

Last edited:
Well I do not want to guess at motivations, and a few people have left (yourself included), so maybe you’re right.
I generally try to only talk positively, or be silent…. So:
Erin appears to make it a bit tough not to like him…. hence it seems like there is a disconnect between my perception and some forum owners.

Just have R.C. go ahead and start step 1, as I left the plank of Myrtle leaning outside of his office back in Feb.

I also picked up an Octo DAC8 Pro and an RME ADI Pro, and a new (used) preamp… so between that, and work, I am slow enough to not worry about manufacturing being currently overwhelmed.
(My current speakers are 38 years old in Sept… so they will almost certainly last :ROFLMAO:)
Well Amir has not been backward about criticising me, so its a fair exchange IMO ;)

Erin was just sharing his knowledge with the community at ASR. There was no commercial conflict with Amirs activities, thats a total red herring posed by Amir so he had an excuse to ban him. It was all about Amirs ego and narcissism.

Cool, it will be an interesting project. Had a chance to play with the Okto yet? Its an interesting product.

Cool, it will be an interesting project. Had a chance to play with the Okto yet? Its an interesting product.

Just working on the RME.

I had computer noises coming out when the RCA analogue inputs and USB were connected.
They went away when I hooked up RME XLR Outputs to the Preamp to help ground through the XLR Pin-1.

The phono is pretty hummy with the RME in the rack… so I have some chin scratching to do.
Then more chin scratching on active XO and Octo side.

The Octo, literally, has not even been unwrapped from the box it left Prague in…It defenestrated itself onto the floor of my study.

And next month we have a guest… so some concerts at convention centre (2 on the same day and time) and a heap of other things, so I am not overly hopeful on doing much except for playing cards and drinking coffee. :cool:

Just working on the RME.

I had computer noises coming out when the RCA analogue inputs and USB were connected.
They went away when I hooked up RME XLR Outputs to the Preamp to help ground through the XLR Pin-1.

The phono is pretty hummy with the RME in the rack… so I have some chin scratching to do.
Then more chin scratching on active XO and Octo side.

The Octo, literally, has not even been unwrapped from the box it left Prague in…It defenestrated itself onto the floor of my study.

And next month we have a guest… so some concerts at convention centre (2 on the same day and time) and a heap of other things, so I am not overly hopeful on doing much except for playing cards and drinking coffee. :cool:
Yep, RCA should be banned. Ground loop.

Back